Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Getting ready

The Judith Lind Tatting Club participates in Meet Yourself Tucson - spend a weekend letting everyone know we're there, show off our tatting skills and even teach a few people how to do it. We're going to have business cards to hand out, each with a little piece of tatting on them, so we're all tatting up little motifs. I don't want to do the same little motif for every single one (boring!) so I've been scouring my patterns for things that I could do.

LadyShuttleMaker had put up a pattern for a little treble clef a while ago but I had never gotten around to trying it out. I don't want to have to learn a new technique(folded ring) to do this, because I want this to be quick and easy. I thought if I change the pattern so I'm using the same technique Ruth Perry uses in her tatted Celtic snail, it could work out really well and I wouldn't have to worry about keeping to any stitch counts. I would also have more control over the look of the clef - I began learning to play the piano when I was in 3rd grade and picked up a few other instruments over the years. I've always thought the treble clef was beautiful, so I guess I'm a bit picky about the look.
The next ones will be even better. I suppose I'm not saving any time by not learning to do a folded ring, but I tried to understand the directions and my brain is just not getting it tonight. This Celtic way is easier to tat though - practically one long chain book-ended by two small rings. I think in the next one I'm going to make the top ring into a mock ring (a chain joined to itself)...might allow it to lay flatter.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Red,
    That last one is looking pretty good!

    I tatted about 85 (!) of these for Tatskool last year, for her son's wedding cards and I found each one felt different when I tatted it. It is so pretty when it id done to one's satisfaction.

    I too, am very particular about the treble cle,f as I have been a musician in past years and it has large significance to me. Good to see someone else enjoying it that way.

    Love the look of your blog.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I can't really imagine tatting so many. Thanks Fox!

    ReplyDelete